2022 Virtual Technology Externship
Help make Arizona the premier state for technology industries!
The Greater Phoenix Chamber Foundation invites you to participate in its 2022 Technology Externship. Participants will connect directly with employers to learn about the technology industries and gain meaningful professional relationships.
What is a Virtual Technology Externship?
Virtual Technology Externships are structured two-week programs, containing a cohort of externs from across Arizona. Externs attend 1 – 1.5-hour sessions hosted by employers across diverse industries to learn about technology-related topics, career pathways, required skills, and current events. Externs receive mentorship and develop their skills through a team research project that they present to employers on the final day. Externs also attend job preparation and professional development sessions like financial literacy, career pathways panel, how to network, and more. Topics include Day in a Life of a Software Developer and Engineer, Software-as-a-Service, Salesforce, Cloud, Data Analytics, DevOps Developer, Agile Development, Product Management, AI/ML, Data Science, and more.
- Expose our future workforce to Arizona’s technology ecosystem and career pathways.
- Foster meaningful relationships between employers and emerging talent.
- Provide externs with opportunities to learn from employers across diverse industries.
- Provide real-world experience for externs to develop skills through team research projects.
March 28 – April 8, 2022, from 4 – 8 p.m.
Externs who complete the externship will receive a $350 stipend.
“The speakers were so down to earth and willing to mentor and guide us in any way they possibly could. Most importantly, they reassured us that there is a place in the IT and/or the Cybersecurity sector for anyone who is willing to pay the price. This Externship will change lives and create legacies for some of us!” – Maria Aceves, 2021 Extern
“The program was so fun! The externs were highly engaged, deeply invested, and top-notch. The program was so well run by the Greater Phoenix Chamber it made participating fun, and easy. I can’t wait to do it again!” – Katy Campanini Director, Software Engineering Product Owner Nationwide Excess & Surplus/Specialty
“Participating in the externship afforded me the opportunity to network with mentors and other industry professionals. This gave me valuable insights and helped me to build the confidence to pursue the next steps in my career goals.” – Michael Marshall, 2021 Extern
- Must be an Arizona resident or attending an Arizona-based educational institution.
- No prior technology experience is needed.
- Must have a desire and enthusiasm for technology-related careers.
- Must be available to participate from March 28 – April 8, 2022, from 4 – 8 p.m.
- Must have access to reliable computer and internet. ***
- Must be able to use Zoom.
- Must be at a minimum of 16 years of age.**
- Externs under 18-years of age will need a parent or guardian consent form.
- Previous applicants are encouraged to apply.
***If you need access to a computer/internet, please contact email@example.com. Include “Tech Externship Computer/Internet” in the subject line.
**High school students who need support with resumes and cover letters, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Tech Externship Resume/CV” in the subject line.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact email@example.com. Include “Tech Externship / Needs” in the subject line.
2021 Summer Externs visiting Arizona’s new Cyber Command Center with Director Roemer (right) and Deputy Director Murray (left) of Arizona’s Department of Homeland Security.
In one word document, please include your resume, cover letter, and answer the following questions. We are looking for enthusiasm, tenacity, communication, listening, interpersonal and transferable skills, self-motivation, pathway fit, resourcefulness, and persistence.
- What about this program interests you the most?
- Please share what occupation(s) you are interested in and why.
- Provide an example of a time when you completed a successful team project and what made it successful.
- Describe a mistake and how you addressed it.
- What do you hope to gain from this externship?
Please email your application in ONE-word document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Technology Externship – <<Your name>>” in the subject line.
The deadline to submit your application EXTENDED to Monday, December 20th, by 11:59p.m.!
If you are interested in applying for the 2022 Virtual Cybersecurity Externship, please visit here.